Thursday, January 4, 2018

Think Positive and Being Heard

         "Treat everyone as a gentleman, not because they are but because you are." ~Abraham Lincoln 


These past few weeks have been crazy, from transferring schools to Christmas events to fitting in a few ski days.  My life has not went as I planned it, but from God showing me bigger plans I have grown.  That aside I have been taught so much from leading my girls group, meeting with my adviser, and growing up.


Leading my girl's group: what a challenge and a blessing.  Many weeks I am scrambling to make a study that will fit to what the girls need spiritually that week.  Often I snag something from        Father Mike Schmitz to get our conversation going then I come up with questions to help the girls grow in being a mature Catholic adult.  I ask them the theology behind what we are discussing, then I move on to what are some of their concerns/questions about the subject and lastly I ask them how they think they would respond in a situation concerning what we are discussing.  This can be a challenge when there are tough subjects to discuss.  One of my girls often treats the subjects too lightly and makes the girls feel like their thoughts are not worthy to be voiced.  While I often feel defeated from not feeling like they are learning anything I see the rewards long after I see the downfalls.  My girls have taught me how to lead with conviction, how to allow others to see your suffering (not in a whiny way but showing that you are not perfect) and to fully listen to others.  


My adviser: I am starting to take classes at Montana Tech this next semester.   I have felt so far behind and often as if I am pursuing my degree for someone else other than myself.  I have switched majors to BioChem to apply to PA school in a few years. (Yes, years) Every time I have met with my adviser I have felt as if he is truly listening to what I want out of life and not just showing me all my failures.  Today he looked at my transcripts, looking at my electives saying, "you won't have a problem with getting electives, you already have plenty of those!" To which I sadly  responded, "yes, I know."  Looking me straight in the eye he said, "Nope you are gonna think positively of your transcript.  When you go to write your letter of why YOU are the best candidate.  You are not going to apologize for your transcripts but proudly show them.  You are going to show how you explored life and came to the sound decision that YOU will be the best in being a PA.  You will firmly state why YOU will be the best caregiver, fully understanding your patient and why they should choose YOU over anyone else."  To be heard, fully understood, and to be pushed into being positive is such an amazing thing.  How I have learned to be more positive and to help others be more positive in such a downtrodden world.  It's difficult to think positive all the time but sometimes we need someone to blatantly tell us to think positive.  

Growing up: I am not talking about teenage years, but of the awkward time in between balancing college, a job, a social life, and starting to make a life independent of your family.  Maybe you are dating or maybe you are single as a pringle but moving into the adult world is by far one of the most difficult things I have ever done.  As a college student you have to explore to know what YOU like.  Not what your parents like, not what your friends like, but what you and only you like.  What do you want to do with your life? It is your life, no one else's.  

The quote of Abraham Lincoln perfectly demonstrates how we should act in this world.  We can only be responsible for ourselves, no one else.  So if all you can do in this world is be the gentleman than do that because it might just make a difference for someone in this world, even if you never know about it.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment